Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Greetings!
I am so excited to be a part of all the wonderful things Superhero Events is doing, I am more privileged to be on staff with some very committed people who are dedicated to doing everything with excellence and integrity. 
Like a dam that is on the brink of busting wide-open, I am so thrilled about the Hollywood Half Marathon that I can hardly contain myself with all the exhilaration and anticipation that is growing on the inside of me.   Now only 11 days away from the HHM, I eagerly await the arrival of the 10,000 runners that will fill the streets of Hollywood with a never before seen wave of euphoria illuminating from the runners as they take it to the streets!  We are almost there.  Almost there!
Yesterday, I conducted another interview with a young woman that in my opinion is a fighter for life and a hero to those she loves.  I was deeply moved by her story and after weeks of us missing each other we finally sat down and conversed over the phone what turned out to be the best interview I have conducted.    
Meet the amazing Debra Rivera



Several months ago, Superhero Events President Ken Nwadike Jr. announced that interviews would be given for those individuals who were selected from their responses to their greatest accomplishments and goals.  Debra’s response gripped my heart right away and I knew that I had to interview her and publicize her story.  So what was this response that moved me so? Debra said, “I got pregnant at ages 14 and 16 and graduated from the University of Arizona. I'm the first to graduate college on my mom's side of the family! Now I'm a teacher hoping to help others realize their dreams.” Yeah, who wouldn’t be moved by this statement right?
28 year old Debra is a wife and mother of two.  She is an 8th grade Special Education teacher in Albuquerque, NM and I know firsthand that working in that field is extremely hard because I was an instructional assistant for junior high and high school students in the mental-health field as well.  The students are inflicted with severe emotional behavior disorders, post-traumatic stress disorders, ADHD, and other disabilities as well.  It is not easy. 
Debra seems to have a solid hold on life at her present state; sadly, this stability was not always there for her to depend on.  When Debra was 15 years old she discovered that she was pregnant and made the decision to move out on her own.  She met a lot of challenges and was homeless for a while.  She met and entered a relationship with a man that turned out to be what she least expected.  He was abusive both physically and emotionally toward Debra.  Sometime later, she became pregnant by this man with her second child.  Debra’s biggest challenge was staying with this abusive man until she could put herself through college and muster up the courage to leave that man.
                One day that courage did come.  “My ex was really controlling.  I had to move to go to college.  I got up one day and I said I’m going to college and you can come with me or stay.  I took my two kids and put them in the car and drove to Arizona.”  Once in Arizona, Debra relied on the help of many people to help her find a place to live, work and go to school.  She was fortunate enough to find a job on her college campus which just so happened to be the same time her two young children was in daycare.  Every night Debra stated that she would only sleep for 2 hours because she had homework that she had to complete and children to tend to.   Debra was awarded grants which also helped to put her through school. 
It wasn’t long before Debra’s controlling ex came knocking at the door and joined her once again in Arizona.  Debra was working yet she was not seeing any of her hard earned money.  Her ex was keeping it all and leaving Debra to take care of her children herself.  When Debra had enough, she walked out and never looked back.
                Now, this remarkable young woman has the paper to show her hard work and determination had paid off.  In 2006 Debra graduated from the University of Arizona with a double major in management information and accounting.  She also minored in Spanish.  Debra went on to obtain her master’s degree in Special Education from the University of Phoenix.  I repeatedly told Debra that even though I did not know her, I was so proud of her and all her accomplishments.  Unlike many others in life, Debra decided not to become a victim of her circumstances, instead she let them mold her into someone so much greater.  She truly has fought for all she has come to know. 
Debra before and after she lost 65lbs
                For those of you who may be hoping to shed a few pounds but are not sure running will do it for you, let your worries wash away now! Debra Rivera has lost 65lbs from running and changing her diet habits.  Debra shared with me that running, counting calories and cutting out red meat are big contributors to her losing all that weight.  “I am 90% vegetarian” Debra said as we discussed the changes in her diet and exercise.  That’s one thing Debra and I will never share in common because I refuse to give up my meat.  I love to eat meat J 
                Debra likes to run down the bike trails in her hometown and often finds that she does not have running partners.  “Sometimes I run with my husband.” She went on to say,   “mostly I run alone because I run so early in the morning, it’s the only time I can fit it in my schedule.”  This wife, mother and hard working woman isn’t letting excuses stop her from doing what she loves best.  3 days a week she is hitting the pavement   because “running helps me release and deal with all the stuff from my past.”  Everyone has their own coping skill.  What’s yours?  Are you utilizing it?
                  Debra ran her first half marathon in October 2011 during the Long Beach Half Marathon.  Her finish time was 2:12 and she hopes to run across the finish line at the Hollywood Half Marathon with a finish time between 2:08 and 2:10.  You can do it! Her challenge was the high altitude.  She went to Long Beach and struggled with her breathing.  Debra recalled her experience, “I had to learn to adjust to my breathing.  It was a tough race for me but I finished and I was so happy.” 
                When Debra was training for the Long Beach Half Marathon she joined a club called Albuquerque Fit.  With that running club she ran once a week and continued the running habit while running 3 days a week on her own.  For the Hollywood Half Marathon, Debra is training with the Nike Plus training program.  
                So what advice does Debra have for those of you who may be considering running a half marathon for the first time?  “From my first half marathon a lot of people talked about getting a PR and finishing on time.  I wanted to finish and celebrate the hard work it took to finish.  I wanted to have the stress gone.  Think of running your half marathon more as a celebration instead of feeling scared or pressured about it. “  Sounds like a value tip to me.       
             Debra, like most people, wants to help others realize their potential and help shift them into position to run the race of their lives while living their dreams and goals.  "When I first graduated college I worked at Deloitte.  I was a software tester for defects.  I ended up realizing how did I ever get to this place? One of my high school teachers helped take care of me, she believed in me when nobody else did.  I thought I should show my gratitude in go back to school and become a teacher.  I teach Special Education.” 
           And that is exactly what she did.  After reading everything that Debra has been through and accomplished, don’t you have a sense of pride and appreciation for her?  She refused to let her circumstances dictate to her what she would be or who she would become.  Debra you are undoubtedly a hero to your own children and those you serve day by day in your classroom.  I have no doubt that you are changing more lives than you realize.
Check out Debra’s blog spot too:  www.MilesToRun.com

Thank you all for reading!

_______________________________________________________________________________












Wanda Anderson
Staff Writer
Superhero Events
619.436.7792 / 619.800.HERO (4376)

1 comment: