Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Greetings!
Friends, we are only 25 days away from the Hollywood Half Marathon and the excitement continues to increase as we are all gearing up for that day.  Hollywood Half participants are without doubt training daily for the BIG day.  Get ready runners for the run of your life because there has never been any race as electrifying like the Hollywood Half Marathon!
Last night I interviewed someone I know very well.  In fact, I have known her for the past 27 years of her life and she is truly a remarkable and inspiring young woman.  Meet my baby sister…
Sabrina Lynn Nwadike




Sabrina is the Vice President of Superhero Events and although she will not be running in the Hollywood Half Marathon on April 7, I think it absolutely fitting to introduce this wonderful woman to you. 
Sabrina, who is married to Superhero Events CEO and Founder Ken Nwadike Jr., started the company together in 2010.  I asked Sabrina what role she plays at Superhero Events and she said, “I have a lot of responsibilities at Superhero Events.  I deal a lot with participant interaction.  I handle a lot of logistics for the race even down to designing the medal for the Hollywood Half Marathon and the Varsity Jacket for the Hollywood Half as well.”  Wearing many roles within the company does not stop Sabrina from flourishing as a successful wife and mother.  Sabrina and Ken have two children with one on the way next month.  6 year old Nichole, who is also an active runner, is leaving her own mark in the running world as well.  She is a part of the San Diego Cheetahs running team.  18 month Kenny Jr. keeps his parents always on the go as he runs around everywhere, and he’s a quick little munchkin too.  With good balance, Sabrina’s hands are far from idle.  Eagerly she works to fulfill the Superhero Events motto, “Saving the World One Run at a Time.” 
Sabrina, Ken, Nichole and Kenny Jr.

Sabrina commented on what it is like to be married to the Director of Superhero Events.  Sabrina said, “My life in non-stop but it’s fun and exciting and I love the adventure.  I wouldn’t want it any other way.”  There are several races that Sabrina and Ken direct each year.  Those races are: Hollywood Half MarathonVeterans Day 5K, Green 10K Series, the Superhero Mile, and still more that are to come. But wait, that’s not it! Not only do Sabrina and her husband Ken own Superhero Events, they also own San Diego Race Timing.  So if you or anyone you know needs a race timed, San Diego Race Timing is the place to go!
Superhero Events has had a lot of media exposure and in 2011, Superhero Events was nominated for Philanthropic Small Business of the Year by the Classy Awards. Superhero Events is definitley on the rise to becomming a leader in the running and race world.

Sabrina & Ken at the Classy Awards 2011
Growing up with a very active sister like Sabrina was not always easy.  I was not the active type.  Rather, I would spend my childhood days playing Barbie’s in my bedroom and make-believing in our backyard that my toy dogs and Lion King Figurines were real.  Our eldest sister Crystal had her own way of being active too.  She was part of the Flag team at her school and put on several performances throughout the school year.  Sabrina on the other hand would always be running around with the neighborhood kids always getting into something.  In our elementary school, we would have jog-a-thons and I remember every year Sabrina would surpass the goal and win all her ribbons while I sluggishly took my time.  It seems that running has always been in my sister’s blood and now she is Vice President of one of Americas most elite and sought after running companies.  I couldn’t be prouder. 
Something you may find surprising is that Sabrina did not run a half marathon until the 2011 Long Beach Half Marathon and she was 3 months pregnant too.  What?! Are you serious?! Yes, I am.  Since then, Sabrina has run 3 more half marathons and all of them while pregnant.  Her determination and savvy sassy attitude caught the attention of Savvy Sassy Moms and an interview with Sabrina was published. 
The first half marathon that Sabrina ran in was not at all easy for her.  In fact it was quite difficult.  We laughed as she told me what her experience was in running her first half marathon.  She did what many people probably do to prepare, and that is absolutely NOTHING! Sabrina said, “I didn’t train for my 1st half marathon.  I thought it was going to be a piece of cake.  By the time I got to mile 10 I hit the wall and everything in my body hurt.  I didn’t think I was going to make it.  Kenny came back for me and encouraged me along the way.  He pushed me to finish and at the last half mile my runners high kicked in and I passed a bunch of people on the way.”
 I then asked Sabrina how she trains and the response I got was not shocking at all.  In fact, I encouraged Sabrina to be honest because people want to see and hear the reality of situations people are in.  Not every runner has time to run 8 miles a day and eat fruits and veggies all day and bench 350lbs as they train.  No way!  “I don’t train” Sabrina said.  “I just go out and run.  I know that’s bad and I encourage people to train.  I do my normal weekly runs but I don’t train for half marathons.  I wouldn’t recommend not training.”  If you are considering running a half marathon, or any race for that matter, please train your body!
Sabrina’s favorite place to run is at the Bonita Golf Course in Bonita, CA.  She likes the run because not only is it scenic, but it is also a full dirt path without any cement.  “I’m 9 months pregnant right now so I’ve stopped running.  Before I stopped running I would run 4 days a week and 3miles a day.” And for those of you, who claim you need running buddies to hit the track with you, do what Sabrina does and take your children with you.    “Sometimes I take my kids with me when I go running.  My children are my running buddies.  Sometimes I push my son Kenny in his baby jogger and he loves it.” There! It has been said.  No one is without excuse!
Everyone wants to know what a good runner eats for breakfast right?  Well, Sabrina said her daily breakfast consist of Honey Bunches of Oats and water or juice.  Yummy!  Sounds good right?  Healthy choices for healthy runners.   For those of you who have never run in a half marathon before, take Sabrina’s advice: “Training is key.  Make sure you train before your first half marathon.  Get involved in training groups.  You should have running buddies as well.  The night before the race it’s good to eat carbs because it gives you energy for the race day.  Eat a good breakfast the morning of the race and make sure you take it easy because it’s your first half marathon. “ Taking it easy does not mean half doing.  It means pushing your body to go farther than the limitations of your mind.   
As we were wrapping up the interview, I asked Sabrina what legacy she wants to leave for her children.  And she responded by saying, “I want my children to remember me as a successful business woman who put God first and worked hard alongside her husband to help provide for them.  I don’t want my children to lack for anything.  My mother and father did the best that they could to provide for me and my sisters. I just want my children to be able to experience the things in life that I wasn’t able to experience growing up.  And I feel that by what my husband and I are doing we are opening the door for our children to have a successful future.” 
What an amazing woman she is.  Being a writer for Superhero Events is quite the experience because I am fortunate and graced to be able to see a lot of the behind the scenes work that goes into running Superhero Events.  Let me be the first to tell you, it ain’t easy.  Sabrina and Ken have successfully arrived where they are today not by cheap gimmicks but by hard work and dedication to this call on their lives.  For those of you who are joining us in the Hollywood Half Marathon or in any of our races, rest assured that Sabrina, Ken and the Superhero Event staff will take good care of you.  You are in good hands. 
Thank you for reading with us today and we will see you in 25 days at City Walk!

For more information visit: www.SuperheroEvents.com

___________________________________________________________________

Wanda Anderson
Staff Writer
Superhero Events
619.436.7792 / 619.800.HERO (4376)
http://www.superheroevents.com

1 comment:

  1. What a great article Wanda! Sabrina has helped encourage me in the last few weeks leading up to the Hollywood Half and she and Ken have definitely been an inspiration to me. Best wishes! - Monia V.

    ReplyDelete